You’ve decided research selecting ERP software for your business.
So, now what?
It’s time to make a checklist of all the things you’ll need to consider when selecting ERP software! With so many companies offering ERP software, it’s critical that you make the right choice up front, as making the wrong choice can have major ramifications on your business.
A solid, well-thought-out checklist can help you narrow down the right ERP software for your business – and it can help you make your decision easier.
Get out your paper and pencil (or start typing). Here’s what you need to know about selecting ERP software.
- Make sure you know what you need. To do this, you’ll need to do a thorough evaluation of your processes. Identify any areas that need improvement or change – especially any areas that are slow or inefficient. Then, you can figure out how an ERP software system can help your business operation.
- Narrow down a few vendors to interview. You’ll likely want to talk to more than one vendor, to get a feel for the right team for your business. Talk to them about what your business needs and ask how they will integrate it into your current operation. Make sure the system you choose can grow as your company grows and that it can easily integrate into your current operations – easily and flexibly.
- Make a budget – and a timeline. You won’t get very far in the process if you don’t identify how much you are willing to spend – and how quickly you want the ERP system you choose integrated. When selecting ERP software, know that some projects can be completed in a few months, while others can take a year or more.
And don’t forget to calculate for hidden costs, like maintenance, training and hardware.
- Compare your options. Now that you have done all of this work, you can compare the pros and cons of your options. Nothing will be perfect, but you can definitely find the system for your business.
- Make your choice. This is the fun part! Once you’ve narrowed down your options, you can talk final terms with the vendor you chose. For this, you’ll want a clear plan from your vendor: Scope, timelines, budget. That way, you’ll know what you are getting, when and for how much!
Selecting ERP software is a big step for a business, and it’s also a significant investment. Careful research and planning can help you make the best decision – and bring peace of mind.
If you have questions about whether your small to midsize business can benefit from selecting ERP software, we can help. Contact us today!